devede needs mplayer and mencoder to work. <solved>

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
davidwillis

devede needs mplayer and mencoder to work. <solved>

Post by davidwillis »

I just installed devede, but when I run it, it says it needs mplayer and mencoder to work. I cheched gslapt, and I had a version of mplayer installed, so I tried mplayer2. Then I tried to install mencoder, but I can't find it.
Last edited by davidwillis on 24. Sep 2011, 16:35, edited 2 times in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: devede needs mplayer and mencoder to work.

Post by gapan »

mencoder is included in the MPlayer package. Not the mplayer2 package which is a completely different piece of software.
davidwillis

Post by davidwillis »

that is strange then, because I had mplayer installed when it gave me the error of needing mplayer and mencoder
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I tried installing it in Ratpoison RC1 (already with mplayer) and ... no such problem. Which Salix edition do you have? 32 bit or 64 bit?

Obvious really and will probably only serve to exclude possibilities, but the next thing I'd try is to uninstall devede itself and both versions of mplayer and then reinstall mplayer, check for the presence of mencoder by typing it into the console (but it must be present because it is installed as part of mplayer), then reinstall devede from the command line (I notice there seem to be two versions in the repositories, might be worth trying the older one if this doesn't work) and look at any messages.
OU812

Post by OU812 »

You may need to install the package mpg123. It's available in gslapt. This may solve your mplayer problem.

john
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It's already installed here, which suggests it either comes bundled with mplayer or devede, or is standard. However, maybe not in whichever Salix edition davidwillis has got?
davidwillis

Re: devede needs mplayer and mencoder to work. <solved>

Post by davidwillis »

I was using kde 32 bit version, but after that I decided to try the 64 bit lxde. I just installed devede, and everything works great. So I am not sure what happened on that last one. And since I don't have the problem anymore I guess I will mark this solved. Or it can be deleted, since it doesn't really solve anything....

Thanks.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I was using kde 32 bit version, but after that I decided to try the 64 bit lxde. I just installed devede, and everything works great. So I am not sure what happened on that last one. And since I don't have the problem anymore I guess I will mark this solved. Or it can be deleted, since it doesn't really solve anything....
It is good for users to write what version of salix they use.

For users might have the same problem. What was the problem.

Devede needs Mplayer. (not mplayer2). But if mpg123 is not installed then the message saying "it needs mplayer and mencoder to work" appears.

So the solution for devede to work is to install Mplayer and mpg123
davidwillis

Post by davidwillis »

I just did a fresh install of kde 13.37 64 bit, and installed codecs, etc, and devede. I got the same error, so I checked for mpg123, and it was not installed. After installing it, devede works great.
Shador

Post by Shador »

Yes, apparently mencoder binary in the MPlayer package depends on mpg123. I tried running mencoder without mpg123 installed and it lacked that library. Should I add mpg123 to the MPlayer deps or is there any special reason that it is missing, gapan?