ReiserFS
3%
Reiser4
No votes
other
No votes

Total votes: 29

Shador

Re: What filesystem do you use in Linux?

Post by Shador »

gapan wrote:XFS doesn't need the "fsck after X number of boots" annoyance either.
It's a feature imho and I really look upon it as highly useful. Anyway you can tweak your fs options to disable it like this too:

Code: Select all

tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 <ext2/3/4 device>
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

luddite wrote:have no idea why running lilo setup from the menu caused a crash !
I have to investigate this one further, but so far all reported crashes from LiloSetup were due to os-prober which is a dependency of LiloSetup.

Would anyone who reported a crash with LiloSetup mind executing os-prober in a terminal to test whether it is also the case and let me know?
The ideal would be to report on this separate thead to not hijack this one.

Tx
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
dab1414

Post by dab1414 »

I use ext2 for my /boot partition, no need for journaling on the /boot. And ext4 on all other partitions. I think I might try XFS next time I try a new install on my other computer, heard promising things about XFS.
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
-Unknown

My Linux screenshots:
aiya88

Post by aiya88 »

Shador wrote:
gapan wrote:XFS doesn't need the "fsck after X number of boots" annoyance either.
It's a feature imho and I really look upon it as highly useful. Anyway you can tweak your fs options to disable it like this too:

tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 <ext2/3/4 device>
Yes, well seen Shador, I would have say the same.
Nevertheless, I really like XFS and use it exclusively. First, I don't have to tune it, mkfs is really fast, and xfs_grows is a pleasure when you want to add space on your LVM partition. :D
I've tried ZFS which is really good. Unfortunately for license reasons, it's not included in the kernel so you have to use it through fuse... so I gave up...
Shador

Post by Shador »

aiya88 wrote:Nevertheless, I really like XFS and use it exclusively. First, I don't have to tune it, mkfs is really fast, and xfs_grows is a pleasure when you want to add space on your LVM partition. :D
That brings us to the reason why I dropped xfs. It might have resizing support but it lacks support for shrinking. Online resizing is also supported by resize2fs.
Apart from that fragmentation is absolutely awesome with the new ext4.
laci

Post by laci »

Ext4 without resize_inode, ext_attr and huge_file feature and with 0 reserved block for root:

mke2fs -t ext4 -O large_file,^resize_inode,^ext_attr,^huge_file -m 0
Because I don't want to resize, don't use ACLs and haven't got file with 2 TB size or bigger. :)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I use mainly EXT4 now. I was not very satisfied with EXT3, too slow. EXT2 is ok but doesn' have a journal.
I also use XFS, which is a good filesystem.
Reiserfs was, for me, the best one for my /home partition before EXT4 has come to maturity. It handles very good small files and big files that you can have in your /home partition. But now, EXT4 can do all this, and Reiserfs is not developped anymore.

I also use FAT32 for my usb keys (because this is the only FS that can be read everywhere without ACL).
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

JRD wrote:I use mainly EXT4 now. I was not very satisfied with EXT3, too slow. EXT2 is ok but doesn' have a journal.
I also use XFS, which is a good filesystem.
Reiserfs was, for me, the best one for my /home partition before EXT4 has come to maturity. It handles very good small files and big files that you can have in your /home partition. But now, EXT4 can do all this, and Reiserfs is not developped anymore.
I agree. I've used ReiserFS for a really long time in the past. After that some XFS because it seemed to perform better than ext3, but now ext4 is a "one fs for all purposes fs" for me :)
JRD wrote:I also use FAT32 for my usb keys (because this is the only FS that can be read everywhere without ACL).
Same here. I'm using fat32 for all USB flash devices. But for external hard disks I always use ext3 because fat32 is nut suitable for large drives and ntfs-3g eats up cpu time. Furthermore a Linux fs is much better for rsync backups and last but not least ext3 may even be read from within Windows by the ext2 driver. Furthermore it is the only Linux fs that is supported by some media players (at least if you flash free firmwares, e.g. WDLXTV on my WD TV Live). :ugeek:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)