Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
timatou

Re: LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice?

Post by timatou »

Wait and see ;)
lighans

Post by lighans »

thenktor wrote:I wonder why Google supports them? I'd have rather thought that Google will launch an online office suite some day. :roll:
-Well they would like some office suite in their android tablets of phones, which they can alter to their needs.
-They like to annoy MS.
-They might be interested in adding it to their google pack.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

lighans wrote:-They might be interested in adding it to their google pack.
I hope that they will not add privacy-invaders features like "upload to google docs in just a one click" or grabbing information in a similar manner that VLC does, VLC is submitting the audio file information to google search engine and then it is displaying an image, from the google image-search results, as an Album Cover) - features like these are fair to add as plugins, not built-in.

google is soon to be the main reason why every GNU/Linux user should have Firewall installed ;)
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I guess they just want to piss of Oracle for being sued because of Android :D
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
lighans

Post by lighans »

zAchAry wrote:
lighans wrote:-They might be interested in adding it to their google pack.
I hope that they will not add privacy-invaders features like "upload to google docs in just a one click" or grabbing information in a similar manner that VLC does, VLC is submitting the audio file information to google search engine and then it is displaying an image, from the google image-search results, as an Album Cover) - features like these are fair to add as plugins, not built-in.
Well, that might be a nice feature or plugin for the future. It would be nice if I could upload my impress-presentations to a site like Slideshare or a lesson in Moodle, or upload writer documents to Wordpress.

Thinking about it, especially Moodle would be great. But that is going to be slightly out of the range of this forum.

I heard VLC does more things which are more pragmatic than constructive.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

zAchAry wrote:google is soon to be the main reason why every GNU/Linux user should have Firewall installed ;)
What are you talking about? We are not on Windows. :o :?
When you are using proprietary software, there is always a *better* chance that there are some things going on behind your knowledge than using some kind of open source software. Of course, when you've not checked the source code (which no normal user will do always for every software that is used), you are in that danger anyways.
All in all, I do not get the point why only blame google for that. It is mostly some kind of blaming "the big companies" in first place for a general problem :?:
Last edited by damNageHack on 7. Oct 2010, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Shador

Post by Shador »

lighans wrote:Thinking about it, especially Moodle would be great. But that is going to be slightly out of the range of this forum.
I think that would be way too easy for moodle. ;)
Apart I don't think they have any API that would allow to extend its functionality in such a way. So writing a plugin for OpenOffice, whatever wouldn't be enough. In the end one would have to implement an absolutely non-trivial API for a software that judging by its usability has an overly complicated source code.
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

For what its worth I have been running LibreOffice on Salix-13.1 for about a week and a half. It is much quicker to load and I have had no problems with it so far with regards to word processing and spreadsheets. I installed Alien Bob's packages after uninstalling my Salix OO.org package. I have office 2003 running in xp on vbox but never use it for anything but legacy access databses. Maybe someday I'll learn something else but there's not enough reason to at the moment. All my quotes correspondence and spreadsheeting worked well enough in OO.org and now LibreOffice.
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

justwantin wrote:I installed Alien Bob's packages after uninstalling my Salix OO.org package.
BTW: Package can be found here http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/slac ... breoffice/
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

thenktor wrote:BTW: Package can be found here http://connie.slackware.com/~alien/slac ... breoffice/
Nice. On which version of OOo is this fork based?
The dep file only includes "xulrunner". I can not believe that this is true that there are no other dependencies. :lol: