Reiser4
No votes
other
No votes

Total votes: 29

witek

What filesystem do you use in Linux?

Post by witek »

I have always wondered which filesystem people choose. I usually choose XFS as it is reliable and fast compared to EXT family. I also use JFS sometimes when I need to install a bootloader into my partition (XFS won`t allows that). I avoid EXT family as it seems slow to me. Never used Btrfs so far. Reiser, well... it looks that since the creator is in jail it stopped being developed. You may choose 2 options as sometimes different systems are used for different purposes.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: What filesystem do you use in Linux?

Post by laprjns »

I use whatever the installer defaults to. :)
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I've used all kinds of file system but now I just use ext4 and I'm happy :) Reliable, stable and I cannot see any speed difference.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

XFS almost exclusively. It's very fast and it's been rock solid for me. I have experienced nasty filesystem crashes with ext3 and I never really used ext4 (only did a few test installations, but nothing that stayed for more than a week). And they really were filesystem crashes, nothing wrong with the hard drives themselves. Same with ReiserFS. XFS doesn't need the "fsck after X number of boots" annoyance either.

On my Acer Aspire One netbook with its crappy SSD drive, I'm using ext2. Not having journaling support is a good thing there. (oops forgot to add ext2 in my vote, too late now)

I never even tried btrfs, jfs or Reiser4.
witek

Post by witek »

I`ve just installed latest Sabayon alongside Salix to test btrfs but LILO in Salix is unable either to chain bootloader on btrfs partition or add kernel image from btrfs :( Furthermore when I run lilosetup as root the system crashed. Never seen such a crash for a very long time :shock:

EDIT: The crash is repeatable, lilosetup crashes system when btrfs partitions are present.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

witek wrote:I`ve just installed latest Sabayon alongside Salix to test btrfs but LILO in Salix is unable either to chain bootloader on btrfs partition or add kernel image from btrfs :(
Use a /boot partition ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

witek wrote:EDIT: The crash is repeatable, lilosetup crashes system when btrfs partitions are present.
Thanks for reporting. I'll look into it.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Using ext4
The crash is repeatable, lilosetup crashes system when btrfs partitions are present.
I also have Sabayon installed...
I used lilo from 1995 6o 2005 but Grub from that point onward.. You might want to try the Sabayon Grub.
.. I have noticed though that the Sabayon load line is particular no matter if you use lilo or Grub

This what my load line for Sabayon looks like......... as you can see it is much more involved then my Salix boot line..
...though not necessay as pointed out a
/boot/name of partition/kernel
will probably do the job
.to find a UUID
run command

Code: Select all

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
or

Code: Select all

blkid
Sabayon
linux /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.37-sabayon ro init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 console=tty1 quiet dokeymap keymap=us resume=swap:UUID=7123445e0-f7dd-4236-9995-0bb543592b11 real_resume=UUID=7123445e0-f7dd-4236-9995-0bb543592b11 root=UUID=7123456d-c628-49c1-af44-61234567bbcac2 docrypt
Salix
linux /boot/vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.33.4-smp root=/dev/sda7
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
witek

Post by witek »

@sqlpython

Thanks, I can manage grub from Sabayon myself ;) , no problem. I just wanted to indicate that lilo and lilosetup does not work with Salix and btrfs.
luddite

Post by luddite »

just like to mention I did a dual boot recently , and configured lilo using edit of /etc/lilo.conf

it was put to me that i should use lilo set up from menu, It caused a crash leading to an output of "try running e2fsk -u-y /dev/sda2

i wasn't too happy & have no idea why running lilo setup from the menu caused a crash !